Sometimes, when I'm at home, planning a lesson, talking with my foreign friends, or listening to music, I forget that I'm in a foreign country surrounded by people who do not speak English every day, and sometimes, life is just a constant reminder of how helpless I really am. Most of the time with the language I feel like a small child. If I want something, I have to go to right person to ask for it. Even when I have reached the proper person I still have to try extremely hard to communicate what I want. I wave my arms in the air, point to the object, use as many single words as I can think of, and when I have accomplished communication, feel such great relief. I bow and say, "Thank you," all the while feeling very humbled that I am on the opposite end of the spectrum now. I don't speak the language, and am at a disadvantage because of it. So far away from people who really understand me and trying so hard to communicate is exhausting, and I am now motivated, EXTREMELY motivated to learn the language here. Because when all I want is a trash bag, using Korean really doesn't seem so hard.
Even when it's hard I always have a smile on my face because someone is helping me, and there is One who is ever by my side. I am learning to rely more fully on God for so many things, especially when I need someone to just listen who really "gets me." I don't have to try so hard just to communicate with Him, He knows, and I know He knows, and that is enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment